Social Media – Report and How To
The 2012 Social Media Marketing Industry Report written by Michael Stelzner is out and there is plenty of useful information to peruse . Even though the survey included only 3,800 marketers, it is still a good sample of what is going on in the real world. Information that is relative to the business that we are in; but also important for businesses that are still on the fence when it comes to social media. Here’s a quick glimpse at some of the findings:
- 83% of the marketers indicated that social media is important for their businesses.
We know that Social Media, though growing, is still in its infancy. This number is expected to grow by most people in the industry.
- 76% of the marketers are planning to increase their video presence – via sites like YouTube and Vimeo.
Again this number is expected to grow. Video is a medium that many businesses use and what better way to get your point/ad/message/campaign across than by using a quick video. Who knows, it could even go viral!
- The top five Social Media networks and/or tools that marketers are using are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and blogs.
You need to be using at least two or more in order for your Social Media presence to be significant.
- 59% of the marketers surveyed are using Social Media for 6 or more hours per week. 33% are using it for 11 or more hours weekly.
This shows how important Social Media has become. You can be sure that if you are not using Social Media this much, your competitors are.
The report continues with more information and graphs and charts – all about Social Media. Social Media has become so important with the onset of more and more mobile devices and encourages two communication between the consumer or fan and the business. You can read the report in its entirety by going here.
What are the big take-a-ways? The real benefits of using Social Media for your business or brand are the following:
- Increasing exposure and Increasing traffic.
It is these two benefits that most people are finding so appealing when using Social Media. Now you can reach thousands, if not hundreds of thousands by posting on Facebook, writing a blog or uploading a video on YouTube and integrating all of them so you can be easily found. These channels have become increasingly important.
So how does one go about doing social marketing-either as a start or just to increase their already burgeoning social media plan? Here are some suggestions:
- When you go to a function, either as just an individual or on behalf of your company, go to your Facebook personal page and send friend requests. Chances are the people you are sending requests to are just as interested and may already be sending you a request, as well.
- How about forming relationships with industry partners on Facebook? Now, you can private message people on their Facebook business page and possibly refer people to each other via Facebook. The possibilities are endless.
- What high school did you go to? What college? This is just another good way to reach out to people. Not only will you get in touch with people you may have lost contact with, they might be looking for someone in your field/industry.
- Do you attend a church? Or do you have a group that meets on a regular basis? Do they have a Facebook Fan Page or Business page? If not, perhaps you can start one for them. Not only is this a great way to gain more experience in Social Media, but another way to make contacts.
- Following any groups or individuals on Twitter is also just as important and a very good way to network. Follow not only people in your industry, but any hobbies or sports you might be interested in; this will increase your presence online.
- You can also follow hashtags (Twitter itself does not have such a way to follow but third-party apps like TweetDeck will) that coincide with your industry so that if someone asks a question you can respond accordingly. This will allow your business name to get out to a wider audience.
- Share information that you might have in relation to your industry. Of course, be sure that your information is accurate, useful, and above all engaging.
With these simple suggestions, you too can increase your presence in Social Media. However, if you still feel that you need additional help or information, feel free to contact us. You can do so by clicking here.